Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Portugese-Style Roasted Chicken



Let's be realistic. At the end of the day, I want to eat good food. I often want to make this food myself. And I definitely want to spend as little time as possible in the kitchen making it. Yes, I love cooking. I will probably love it even more when I become a millionaire and have a gorgeous kitchen with marble counters and a fancy gas stove, and I can spend the whole day getting dinner ready for friends and family and...Ok, I'll stop daydreaming now. Sometimes after working in a kitchen all day (or night), I simply don't feel like doing the same when I get home. Which is why roast chicken is my go-to dinner recipe. I love that the prep work can be done in under 10 minutes, and I can walk away for a few hours while it roasts to perfection in the oven.

Portuguese Roast Chicken

1 Chicken
4 cloves of garlic
Tbsp. coriander
Handful of cilantro
1/2 cup of olive oil
4 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. Red pepper flakes
2 limes, halved
1 lemon
1 Tbsp. dried oregano
Sweet peppers-cut the tops off and hollow out the center

1. Throw the garlic, coriander, olive oil, juice of the lemon, paprika, red pepper flakes and oregano in a blender to make the marinade. Pour this over the chicken in a baking dish. Stuff the chicken with the limes. Make sure there is room for the sweet peppers but don't put them in with the chicken until the chicken has been roasting for about an hour. Continue roasting after you put the peppers in, maybe about 30 or 40 min more, depending on the size of your chicken. Spoon the extra juice from the pan all over the bird and serve with some Greek yogurt on the side. I added a splash of lemon juice, black pepper and drizzle of olive oil for an added kick. It also just looks better. Enjoy!








Recipe adapted from The Londoner.


No comments:

Post a Comment