Thursday, June 26, 2014

Simply Sweet






In the pastry world, it can sometimes seem overwhelming with all the new trends, brilliant ideas popping up all over Pinterest, and of course, the classics that you always find yourself craving, like the perfect tollhouse cookie. I want to make it all! But, with a full-time job plus the private parties I cater, reality sets in, and finding the time to make that beautiful ombre macaron tower seems impossible. So, I was very excited when I had the recent opportunity to make my first Naked cake, one trend I've been trying to incorporate into my work.


I first saw a cake with exposed layers when I lived in New York and was sort of obsessed with Milk Bar. Christina Tosi, the owner of Momofuku Milk Bar, is credited with starting this trend. I will admit that at first sight, I was not crazy about a cake that was...unfinished. But, seeing that this style was making its way into weddings and incorporating fresh flowers and berries, I grew to appreciate the style more.  It may not be for everyone, but if done the right way, it will certainly add a touch of sweetness to any occasion. Sweet, Simple, and Pretty....what's not to love?!

To make the layers of frosting a bit more polished and delicate looking, I piped along the edges with a pastry bag. I sifted 10x sugar over each tier before assembling, and placed fresh cut flowers in a few spots to dress it up. Making sugared flowers for a cake like this is probably not necessary, as the cake itself has a "rustic feel" so I like to keep everything within the same sense of style. I think I may even have to make another naked cake for my next party. I ADORE a simple pound cake layered with fresh whipped cream, pink flowers, and sugared berries!

More Inspiring Naked Cakes:
 
 
Image
 
Milk Bar tiered wedding cake in pistachio and chocolate chip
 
 
 
 
 
 
 






No comments:

Post a Comment